Top Social

Jake's Cafe On Second Street



           Looking for a place to fill you up a latte?  A few blocks from historic downtown, Jake’s Café on Second St. is that place. No lattes, just coffee.

Usually when I go out, it’s spontaneous.  Sometimes I look at yelp to see what category of food I’m interested in or what’s close by.  I don’t spend a lot of time trying to decide what I want, I don’t read reviews, I don’t pay attention to the rating.  I just go, without bias or prejudgment.

Don’t let the name of this place fool you, snacks and meals are anything but light.  The food and décor here are classic American, visitors can sense the nostalgia spilling in from the city itself.  Just walk around the city for a while and you will discover that the interior design was organized to accomplish this.



Inside, the process of the visit is pretty simple and stress-free.   Customers seat themselves, but servers are pretty quick to pick up on any hint of confusion.  They will kindly direct the uninformed.  It wasn’t a painful process, my guests and I felt welcomed.



Since they close at 3pm, they have two menus, breakfast and lunch.   The lunch menu has a nice variety of meals, of which you would expect from a place like this.  I ordered the deluxe cheeseburger and my guest ordered a club sandwich, two American icons.



The burger and veggies tasted fresh.  The meat was cooked medium-well, it dripped a lil’ grease, but not an intolerable amount.  I’ve had dry burgers and wet burgers, this one sat right above the middle of those, just know that your bread will become a wet sponge.



Most platters include a tonnage of fries dumped on top of everything, of which a pickle is buried.  It’s sort of a big dill.  The ranch is made in-house and tastes great with fries, burgers, or club sandwiches. 



I talked with the owners and they were really nice, affable people.  One can tell that they love what they do and work hard to give people a great meal everyday.