Top Social

Stanwood and The Cookie Mill



I have a “two-try rule”.  If I’m not certain about a place or city, I will always return to get a more comprehensive experience.  It’s not good practice to judge things off of one trip, unless it’s proven undeniably otherwise.  In this case, I thought Stanwood was nice, but I felt incomplete not experiencing other parts.  

South Stanwood offered enchanting forest views of Maple and Pine, knotted with wooden homes saturated with damp, moist, revitalizing air.  Central Stanwood offered more spacious views.  The roads were simple and not as entertaining, the territory was not as forested and seemed more flat compared to a few miles south.  There is development potential here.  They could develop it a little more attractively.  For example, Heratige Park is huge.  They have ample, flexible space to develop more fun opportunities for guests.   City officials should consider funding an expansion project for that playground.  They might be missing an opportunity to attract tourists, and tourist money, with children. 




There’s quite a few places to eat, I planned on eating at The Polska Kuchnia, but my kid wanted McDonalds and to play in play area, I repeat…THE PLAY AREA.  See what an attractive play area brings, customers.   So we ate a McDonalds.  Afterwards, I was full from lunch, but I wanted to try a local spot, so we stopped by The Cookie Mill.



The Cookie Mill was a pleasant place to visit.  The shop had a cottage-feel and country charm.  Here you order and seat yourself.  Plain coffee and water refills sit in the middle of the shop for your convenience.  They offer a wide range of delectable edibles from sandwiches to pastries, we went with the sharable Pumpkin Bar.  The staff warmed it up for us, as they recommended.  The bar was moist to cut and taste, it was slightly sweet, not overwhelming at all.  There was also a wide range of drink items, but the most preferred seemed to be coffee, that’s what I ordered, a Mocha Breve to be exact.  It may not be their style to do latte art, but a little love goes a long way for such an average tasting drink.  Besides that, I enjoyed this place.  The energy was good, guests looked like they appreciated the atmosphere, the staff were nice, and the toilets were clean.













The city center is developing.  I hope they can embrace modernization in the right spots.  I also hope they can maintain its unique history and character (like the brick road downtown) during this period of growth.  When visiting cities in Snohomish County, I find the most attractive ones being able to mix old and new harmoniously.